Thursday 9 March 2017

Tarot Cards & The Knight of Swords Story Continues . . .









Hello,

Here it is!  Enjoy reading the next part of Knight of Swords and please keep letting me know what you think.  Thanks to all those making comments.  I appreciate you letting me know how much you like it.  What did you all think of the Interview with the Knight of Swords last night?

I wrote another piece for a blog entitled, A day Out With Nathan Valancourt which I will post in the near future if you are interested in reading it.  Again let me know.  It was a lot of fun to write.

For a while now, I have planned some modern New Adult spin offs to this story.  I want to create a universe for the whole concept.  There are two other stories following on from this called, Ace of Swords and The Hanged Man.  I am hoping to get them back off the publisher soon to be able to post excerpts from them.  I have planned spin offs about the other Knights, Angels and Fairies in the follow on stories so watch this space for further details!  I even have a contemporary comedy version!

In case any of you were wondering, the stories and characters are based on the Tarot Cards.  I will post on this at a later date.

Have fun reading the story and remember, sleep well and don't have nightmares! :)

Sara





Knight of Swords


I was disturbed by her words, and by her sudden trembling.  I tightened my grip reassuringly.  ‘Shhh.  Sebastian and Gabriel will not have you.  No one will take you from me.  I won’t allow it.  I will protect you with my life.’  I shuddered at the very thought of her being taken from me.
I held Juliet tightly against me in silence, suddenly aware of her intoxicating scent.  I found myself bending my head to the side of her slender pale neck.  I inhaled deeply, just as Sebastian had done with Sophie before he ended her life.  Now I understood the potent attraction a female’s scent could bestow upon my newly strengthened senses.  A feral need rose from deep within me.  Its fire was almost overpowering, threatening to consume me whole.  I wanted Juliet.  It was plain and simple, but it was not just her body I craved.  It was her blood and her very soul.
Every time I pictured her being taken away from me, anger flooded my insides like a dam bursting its banks.  There was no life, no existence without Juliet.  I hadn’t felt such passionate devotion for another since my parents died their untimely death.  I had not allowed myself the liberty of such emotion for fear that it was cursed.  Whomever I allowed into my heart would be lost to me in death, and I would be forced to bear the guilt.  I could not help feeling that Sebastian had known of my pain.  Clearly, he had played upon it to punish me for being Juliet’s rightful mate. 
‘Nathan, you are trembling.’  I felt Juliet’s arms tighten around me.  I swept my fingers through her silky hair, moving it to one side so that her neck and throat might be bared to me.  I gently pressed my lips against her throat.  It was pure instinct to seek out the tiny pulse that throbbed with blood beneath her soft, vulnerable skin.  A small moan escaped her lips despite the slight stiffening of her fragile frame in my arms as I tightened my hold around her.
I ran my tongue over my new incisors, becoming aware of a sudden sharpness to them.  I grazed their tips over her beating pulse, feeling an ache swell within them.  The ache would only be satisfied when I penetrated the delicate barrier of her skin.   
‘Nathan,’ her voice was breathless with need.  ‘We mustn’t do this.  It’s wrong and I have never . . .’
My lips smiled against her skin, touched by her virginal coyness at the impropriety of my kiss.  I whispered, ‘Hush, Juliet.  I want you and I know you feel the same.  I can see your thoughts, remember.’
‘Yes, but it’s wrong.  I shouldn’t . . .’
‘I thought you were a free woman, a suffragist who is determined to make her own decisions.’
‘As long as it is with you,’ she said, affront evident in her tone.
I gave a small laugh.  ‘But of course.  I would kill any other man I found you with.  You know that now.  We are meant for each other, and this is but a dream.’
She opened her mouth to give me a rebuke.  I seized my chance to cover her lips with my own, silencing her.  Her eyes closed and to my delight both her body and her resolve to remain a virgin melted in my arms.  Our kiss deepened.
I stroked my fingers up the bodice of her dress, curving my palm around her breast.  I gave it a gentle squeeze, moving the edge of my thumb over its peak.  Her body arched towards me in response.  I wanted her out of the dress but there was something I wanted more first.
Once again I sought the curve of her neck.  I pressed my incisors against her skin and flicked the tip of my tongue across her beating pulse.  She gasped loudly, unable to catch her breath.  I supported the weight of her head as she moved it back to accommodate me, tilting it to one side.  The tiny pulse was beating faster now.  I could sense the blood coursing around her system despite the silence of her heart.
My need for her was burning to fever pitch.  Until I had taken her blood, branding it as my own, I could not make her mine.  For all I was ignorant of the ways of our people, the knowledge of this rite was instinctual.  Consummation of the bond between Juliet and myself would not take place without it.  Lifting my head, I bared back my lips, unable to wait any longer.
Juliet’s eyes were closed.  She was breathing hard with excited anticipation.  I looked down at her subservient position with approval, though I felt a flicker of concern and apprehension at the painful burning bite I was about to inflict upon her.  There was no other way.  I needed to make her mine, both in her dreamscape and in our waking reality.  At that moment I did not care which came first.  I began to lower my mouth, only to halt abruptly when a male voice shouted at me to stop.
With speed I swung Juliet behind me and kept tight hold of her struggling form.  I recognised the intruder’s voice immediately.
‘Gabriel.’  I hissed his name. Narrowing my eyes I glowered at him from my slightly taller stature, warning him off.  He was left in no doubt that I was ready to do battle for Juliet.
Gabriel displayed amusement at my protective stance, but a dark warning in his own eyes told me he had every intention of attempting to take Juliet from me.
‘I am sorry to spoil your fun Nathan, but you are not permitted to brand Juliet’s blood. Not until you have fought off the other men who are rightfully entitled to challenge your position as her mate.  It is how our people have lived for centuries, even through the curse.  You must prove yourself as her protector before she may submit to you.’
‘This is Juliet’s dreamscape.  It is . . .’
He interrupted me.  ‘It is real, never-the-less.  Juliet has the power to make it so.  What you do in this dreamscape has consequences in the waking world.  If you take her now you will forfeit any right to her, and she will be unprotected.  You will have made her fair game to others; hybrids, Taleians, and of course Sebastian.’
He came closer, heightening my guard.
‘The effect of the curse and the lack of Taleian women, stolen for the slave trade, has made our men unruly.  Many are resolved to take whatever measures to find a mate, even if they use violence against an unwilling female.  I don’t believe you could endure the thought of Juliet being blood bonded with an abusive mate for an eternity, especially Sebastian.  You must face them in battle.’
I fought to keep my rage contained, aware he was goading me, and growled, ‘You won’t have her.’  Gabriel put his hand in his pocket and gave a small laugh.
‘I beg to differ.  You mustn’t think too badly of us challengers.  It is in our blood to fight you for her.  But you can rest easy; I will not commence my challenge until Juliet is strong again.’
‘Why wait?  She has nothing to do with this . . .’
‘But she has.  She also has to fight a battle if she wants you.  Juliet must repel all those males who make mental contact with her.  She must endure their advances, their tricks, their deceit, even their violent attacks upon her mind.  All of the weapons they will use to make her capitulate and bow before them to weaken your position.  Already you have failed to stop Sebastian getting inside her mind . . .’
I could not take much more.  ‘You will not possess Juliet.  Neither will Sebastian.  If you try to take her from me, you will both die.’
Juliet was right about Gabriel’s arrogance.  I longed to leave him no reason to feel it anymore.  He continued his forthright speech, revelling in my anger.  He took out his pocket watch and glanced at it, ignoring my words.  ‘I want Juliet to be strong when I take her from you.  That way, my victory will be all the sweeter when I bring her to her knees and banish you from her mind forever.’
Juliet struggled fiercely in my hold, protesting her annoyance at our behaviour.  The way we talked of her as though she were absent infuriated her temper.  I could not blame her; my conduct would not be tolerated in polite society.  But this was not a polite gathering by any means.  She was in danger at every turn in our new world, and it was my occupation to protect her.
I lost my temper, ‘Juliet, remain still.  I am your protector here, and in the human world, I am your guardian.’
But she would not stop.  Gabriel laughed loudly.  ‘She is such a stubborn child.  It is almost endearing, but unfortunately also dangerous for her safety to keep disobeying you like that.  A more skilled protector would know how to control her.’
Juliet pulled so hard on my restraining arm that I thought for a moment she would break free and fly at him. 
Gabriel grinned.  ‘She has to understand her position.  I would dearly love to give her a spanking.’
Juliet gave a horrified, indignant gasp and became still.  Baring back my lips, I glared at him, hissing with menace just like a swan when preparing to attack.   
I took a step forward, fiercely shielding Juliet, ‘Try it.’
Gabriel’s eyes darkened into pools of brilliant black as he took a step towards me undeterred.  ‘Perhaps I will.’
We circled each other, snarling.  Spoiling for a fight like street dogs.  The human side of my mind tried to reason with me.  There were better, more civilised ways to fend off a suitor.  But it was base, primal, and exciting to fight for a woman instead of having her handed to me on a silver platter.  I felt liberated.  I was more than eager for Gabriel to initiate violent conflict between us.

But Juliet was to put a stop to our nonsense.

Chapter Six


The heavy restraining grip I had maintained on Juliet’s arm as I held her behind me suddenly loosened.  Whirling around in fear I found she was nowhere to be seen.  I called her name, but there was no answer.
‘Sebastian must be here in her dreamscape.  You said you would keep her safe,’ I snapped angrily at Gabriel.
Gabriel frowned, looking up at the sky.  Upon hearing the call of a bird, I followed his gaze with alarm.  ‘Gabriel, look.  He is here.  He has taken Juliet . . .’
His laughter silenced my fear, turning it to anger.
‘Nathan, she is magnificent.  I didn’t believe it would happen so soon.’
Confused by his words I studied the bird more closely as it circled us overhead.  It was not a raven but a glorious bird of prey, a golden eagle.  It swooped low, forcing us both to bend to our knees and shield ourselves with our arms for fear of attack.  I heard Gabriel call to the bird.
‘Juliet, stop this now.  Change back, you are too weak to maintain any other form.  You must wait.’
The bird completed one more defiant circle as I stared open mouthed.  Was it conceivable that the bird and Juliet were one and the same?  Eventually it came to rest on the branch of a tree not far from the edge of the lake.  My eyes widened with disbelief as its form shook and grew into a laughing Juliet, sitting on the branch.  We rushed towards her.
Juliet’s face was flushed with excitement and the extent of her laughter.  As she cast her eyes down at us, her exhilaration faded quickly.  She wore a haughty, regal expression.  When she spoke, her tone was highly disapproving of my earlier behaviour.
‘Lord Valancourt, are you finished discussing me as though I were a possession to be fought over?’
A part of me felt ashamed, but much of me felt frustrated.  She did not understand the role I was to play on her behalf.  I was merely protecting her.  ‘I apologise, Juliet, but I do not believe you comprehend the danger you are in when a challenger is present.  Please, come down.’
I felt uneasy the longer she stayed perched upon the branch.  I wanted her safe by my side.  All of my senses appeared to be acutely alert around Gabriel.  His thoughts were closely guarded and I had to skilfully make use of every sense I had to gauge his next move.  I did not believe for one moment that he would wait until Juliet was stronger to begin his challenge.  He would attempt to take her at the first possible opportunity.  Even now he made advances towards her on the tree, trying to block my path to her. 
Though Juliet might have a vast array of mental powers open to her new form, a male hybrid was physically far stronger than she would ever be.  It would be easy to compel her obedience with violence.  All it would take was one bite, one taste of her essence, consummated by the sexual act, and she would be branded his forever.  I could not lose her.
‘I will come down when I am ready to . . .’  Her voice trailed into silence.  She looked away into the distance, tilting her head ever so slightly to one side.  She appeared to be trying to listen to something.  ‘Can you hear that?  You must be able to hear . . .  There is a woman crying, and whispers, so many whispers.’
‘I hear nothing, Juliet,’ I told her flatly, trying my best to listen closely.
‘Juliet, you will hear and see things that we cannot.  You . . .’ Gabriel began.
‘She is in terrible pain.  There are so many others with her.  All women.  I must go to them.’
‘No.’ Gabriel’s tone was firm, indicating his authority must not be questioned.  ‘It is too dangerous.  You are not yet strong enough.  Besides you cannot help them.  They are beyond that now.’
‘No one is beyond help, sir.  I will go to their aid.  I cannot simply ignore a plea for help.  The slave traders took them from their homes.  They took their children.  I must to go to them.’
‘No.  It is too dangerous.  I forbid it.’
Moisture gathered in Juliet’s eyes as she held onto the branch.  ‘You will forbid me nothing, sir.  I cannot let them down.  You are not my father or my guardian.’
Gabriel was growing visibly impatient and uncomfortable.  ‘Until you are strong enough, you are in my care and I will have your obedience.  You will forget these women.  Banish the one who connects with your mind.  You cannot help her.’
Juliet stared at him coldly.  ‘You would deny another rescue and freedom from their pain when it is within your power to help?’
‘In this instance, yes.  I have no choice.  Believe me, it is a heavy burden I bear.’
‘Very well.  I will attend her without your assistance.  I am unafraid.’
‘No.  If you try to go to this woman, I will stop you,’ he told her severely.  ‘And believe me Juliet, I will employ whatever means I have at my disposal to do it and it will not be pleasant.  Now come down from the tree at once.  Let me help you.’
He held his arms up above his head to lift her from the branch, but she vehemently refused his assistance.  ‘I will not tolerate the discourteous way you speak to me.’
‘Juliet, you try my patience.  Come down at once.  You must close down your dreamscape and rest until the change is complete.’
‘I can jump by myself.’
‘It’s too far.’
I watched her look down at the drop.  It was too high for her to be jumping from a tree in her gown.  I was already uneasy with Gabriel’s closeness to her but I dared not interfere for fear of offending her again.  Besides, I believed that Gabriel was now too agitated to begin his challenge.  His anxiety made me all the more curious as to why he was so uncomfortable talking about the slave traders, and why he was so desperate for Juliet not to listen to the woman who called for her help.  Perhaps he was afraid of what the woman might reveal.  Juliet had told me that Gabriel had hidden something from her.  She was special, different from other hybrids.  Maybe this woman knew the reason for it.
Juliet needed to accept that neither of us could function alone in our new world without the other.  If she required my help she must ask for it and acknowledge my role.  It was only right for her to respect me for my position.  I stood back and waited while she vainly tried to fight off Gabriel’s determination to lift her from the tree.
Gabriel reached for her waist with his hands.  Juliet squealed with anger and looked over to me pleadingly.  ‘Nathan, please help me down.  I do not trust this man who has so little regard for others.’
A mixture of relief and triumph coursed through my body making me want to laugh. Gabriel gave a heavy sigh and courteously moved aside.  I lifted her down from the tree and set her on the ground next to me.  My arm wound around her waist tightly, protectively drawing her to me.  It vexed her.
‘Please, Nathan, do not hold me so tightly.  Let me go.’
‘No, not when he is here.’
‘This insane mating ritual is already becoming tiresome, gentlemen.  Try to remember we are also half human, and not to lose your senses.  I will save you both the bother.  I do not intend to take a mate.’  Juliet tilted her chin upwards with haughty defiance.
‘You must.  None of us have any choice.  It is the way of our people.  You are not an exception to the rule, Juliet.  Nathan will at least agree with me on this point,’ Gabriel was shocked.  He was not alone.
‘Juliet, I know you are upset but he is right.  We don’t have any choice.  I thought . . .’
‘Well, you thought wrong, Nathan. I will not be controlled by any man.’  With determined effort she freed herself from my hold.
‘I want you both to leave now.  I wish to be alone in my dreamscape,’ she demanded.
I persisted, feeling the edge of my frustration take hold again.  I would not be banished from her mind.  ‘No, please we must talk about this.  I know you are upset.  It is a lot to become accustomed to, but we must bear it together.’
She moved away from me, folding her arms as she stared out at the lake.  The temperature suddenly dropped.  A chill formed in the air.  Clouds began to gather in the sky, blocking out the sun, and a wind began to swirl coldly around us.
‘I said I wished to be alone.’
‘I am sorry, Juliet, but we cannot do that.  We are linked to you until the challenges have taken place and one of us is the victor,’ Gabriel informed her callously.
‘You make it sound like sport,’ she hissed.  ‘I may not be able to remove you from my mind, but I can banish you to the edge of my consciousness.  You will not return until you both learn some manners and respect for my wishes.’

3 comments:

  1. I cant wait to read the next chapter. You are a talented writer and you leave your readers wanting more. Brilliant. Is this book available for purchase?? Awaiting the next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! The book isn't available yet. I am hoping to find a new publisher for it. Today's post explains. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant wait to read the next chapter. You are a talented writer and you leave your readers wanting more. Brilliant. Is this book available for purchase?? Awaiting the next chapter...

    ReplyDelete